Cold Caboose #14723
This old PRR caboose is on static display at Tyrone PA. It's a piece of Pennsylvania Railroad equipment classed as an N5B Cabin Car that was built in 1941 from their own design. Most N5's were built in the sprawling Altoona Shops or in nearby Hollidaysburg over the decades.
Sometimes known as the crummy, which may refer to the housekeeping abilities of railroad men, this is where the train conductor had his office and a brakeman or two would be stationed. It was generally attached to the rear of a train. It had a small office, some berths, a cook stove, and some lighting, and the cupola above was used to look out over the train to watch for problems like smoking hotboxes, which were overheated wheel journals.
Trains operated with a legal crew of five until recent years when the crew was reduced to two or three, all riding in the locomotive. All cabooses were retired from rail service and replaced with flashing rear end devices, which are simply known as a FRED.